Replacing Documents after a Disaster

If your personal identifying documents, such as a Driver’s License or State ID cards, were lost or stolen during or after Hurricane Laura, Sally, or Delta, the information below should help you obtain replacements. The information obtained here was sourced from FEMA and .

If you are a California resident impacted by a wildfire, we suggest you follow the guidance from Fema published on this page or visit the California Statewide Wildfire Recovery Resources.

Birth and Death Certificates:

Website: The Louisiana Department of Health State Registrar and Vital Records Office Birth and Death Certificates:

Louisiana is a “closed record” state. This means that birth and death certificates are not public records. All requests for birth or death certificates must include proper identification, appropriate fees, and a completed application.

Phone: Customer Service hotline:  504-593-5100 or email

Louisiana Driver Licenses:

Due to COVID-19 the Office of Motor Vehicles is requiring an appointment to renew or replace your license.  Please check online for a location near you; visit

Please note due to the aftermath of the storm, OMV locations in Calcasieu and Cameron parishes remain closed until further notice. 

Marriage and Divorce Documents

The Louisiana Registrar and Vital Records office website is and has a link to request a copy of a marriage certificate. The Registry cannot issue a certified copy of a divorce decree. To obtain a certified copy of a divorce decree please contact the clerk of court in the parish where the divorce was granted.

Green Cards:

Information/Reporting Phone Line: 800-375-5283

Social Security Cards:

Phone: 800-772-1213


Identity Theft Resource Center:

Phone: 888-400-5530



Medicare Cards:

Phone: 800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)

Monday-Friday from 7am to 7pm or

go to:

Federal Tax Returns:

  • Internal Revenue Service tax relief for Hurricane Laura survivors includes expedited refunds or delayed tax filings for individuals and businesses.
  • The IRS announced that survivors of Hurricane Laura have until Dec. 31, 2020, to file individual and business tax returns and make tax payments.
  • Visit for more information.

         Phone: 800-829-1040 TTY 800-822-4059

USDA Farm Services

The Farm Services Agency offers a variety of loans and grants to help agricultural producers recover from production and physical losses that result from disasters.


Military Records:

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as of June 24 the National Personnel Records Center entered into Phase One of a gradual reopening process. The center is currently only servicing emergency requests associated with medical treatments, burials, homeless veterans, VA Home loan guarantees, and employment opportunities. Their telephone number is unstaffed, so please log onto and apply on-line: NPRC’s operating status.

Insurance Documents:

Louisiana Department of Insurance

Tel. 800-259-5300

Tel. 225-342-5900

The Dept of Insurance’s Storm Damage Resource Center has information to assist individuals and businesses that suffered damage in Hurricane Laura. Visit for answers to insurance questions or to dispute an insurance settlement

Legal Assistance

To request legal help through FEMA Disaster Legal Services, call 1-800-310-7029 or visit or

We hope the information above helps in your efforts to replace those documents.

Financial Survival In The Time Of COVID19

Tonight’s Highlighted Resource is the #NY State Comptroller’s: #COVIDー19 Financial Survival Toolkit for #NewYorkersThe links below will offer guidance & resources to help you during this challenging time. #NYC #Nassau #Suffolk

The NY Times developed: “A Hub for Help During the #Coronavirus Crisis” that is broad and robust enough to help residents from: Washington, Oregon, California, Texas, Florida, Connecticut, Michigan. We urge you to visit and check out their #COVID19 financial resources:

Another great #COVID19 finanical resource is the United Way’s 211 system that is used in over 80% of states in the #US. You call or visit their website to check what financial/economic #coronavirus support system is available locally and in your state:

You can legally take steps to financially protect yourself from the impact of the #coronavirus. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has the legal info you need to work with your mortgage company & creditors in order to secure #COVID19 relief:

Personal finance adviser, Suze Orman offers 12 money do’s and don’ts to help you survive the #financial and health crisis of #COVID19.

If you are unemployed or had your work reduced, you may be eligible for SNAP, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Pgm. USDA really wants people to know they should see if they are eligible and apply:

If you live in these states: NY, WA, AL, OR, AZ, CA, the US Gov’t has made arrange so that you can use your SNAP benefits to buy #food online via Amazon, Walmart and a few others.

For those in immediate need of putting food on the table, we have 2 sources:-Feeding America’s website to search for addresses info for your local/county food pantries: your local religious orgs, such as Catholic Charities for distribution info.