Welcome to #COVID19 Info & Resources!
1) Since the World Health Org has declared #COVID-19 a global pandemic, we thought it best to share some basic info – our Coronavirus Personal Protection Page which includes a Household Pandemic Guide:
2) As #coronavirus spreads on its predicted course, the US has also responded with measures aimed at curbing it. Two days ago we began to help our followers in #NH #MA #FL #CA #NJ understand what #COVID19 Community Spread is and its impact via a thread: http://bit.ly/38DUYRg
3) We’ve seen how #NY & #Washington state have implemented Social Distancing measures and these were different based on how far the disease has spread in each of their communities. The Gov created a containment zone for the town of #NewRochelle with had already over 100 cases under a 1mile radius. Washington chose a number of closures/bans aimed at social distancing to stop their spread. In both cases they are a multi-layered approach that expands from voluntary to mandatory depending on the severity of the spread.
4) These #COVID19 efforts are based on established scientific practices that have worked successfully in the past. Below is an article of a Tale of 2 Cities (Philly & St. Louis) during the Spanish Flu Pandemic and the choices they made impacted them.
5) The US has learned from how #China, #Singapore, #Hong Kong & #Italy have responded to their #COVID19 #coronavirus outbreaks & have learned from their successes and failures. The #US & #EU CDC have adjusted their guidelines accordingly.The EU CDC published them in the following publication (pgs 3-4)
6) All these efforts are to achieve two goals:
- reducing the number of deaths
- #flatteningthecurve or lessening impact
But timing the measures is key. Timing made all the difference for #SouthKorea & #Singapore, not so much in #Italy.
7) Which brings to the US. Many people are already complaining about school closures or events being cancelled. In Italy, some of the mid-level measures were not followed by communities, as a result we are seeing a repeat of scenes from Wuhan, of people dying for lack of equipment or beds
8) So if you see/hear Please Wash Your Hands & Stay home, it’s because we understand disaster response and know what will be experienced in the US in about 4 weeks if the measures in place right now are not taken seriously. So please develop the habits below NOW
9) And also do the following:
First, locate and sign up for alerts with your state AND local health depts or Emergency Mgt to stay informed. Locate your local health department by going to: https://www.naccho.org/membership/lhd-directory
10) Share these resources with friends but please don’t badger them because the more you persist they’ll resist. When they’re ready share these threads, that’s why we created them. We know there will be people who won’t listen even when they themselves are sick.
[GIF – ears covered]
11) Instead focus on you and your family and do everything you can to stay healthy and serene. Our bodies respond to stress by lowering our immune systems and making us candidates for illness. So find ways to DESTRESS!